hiding away

by Sharon Santoni
[blank]Where do you hide away when the going gets rough?
You know what I mean  … work piles up; you get overtired; people getting angry for no reason; everyone demanding something of you …
It happens to us all now and again; those moments when  we just want to shout  “STOP!”
But of course that is rarely possible, so we buckle down, get back to work, and simply wait for the storm to pass ….
… but who has never longed, even momentarily, of a place to hide away.  A place to enjoy five minutes, a couple of hours, a day or two, simply resting, taking time for a little soul-restoring ?![blank]
[blank]Putting a little distance, physically or mentally, between us and a situation, is often all it takes to put things into perspective, to be able to deal with the problem more effectively.
So I wondered what is your hide away?  Because it doesn’t have to be real.  You don’t always need to leave a situation physically, sometimes just getting away in your mind is sufficient.[blank]

[blank]Do you escape between the pages of a favourite book?

Do you go out for a meal with your girlfriends?

Do you sit down to watch a good film?
Do you retreat to ‘your’ room in the house; your sewing room, or laundry room,
or simply your desk in a corner with a laptop and a coffee?
Or do you get out and walk it off?
When I have something to mull over, I’ll generally think it through as I go to sleep.  But if I need real quiet, real abstraction and some gentle therapy then I call the dogs and walk up to the forest to let the green-ness take effect.[blank]
[blank]So tell me, do you escape or sit it out?   What works best for you?   Do you hide away for real or do you ‘go’ somewhere else in your mind?
And do you think this is a thing that evolves as we grow older, or does it work at any age?
Do share, I’d love to hear your thoughts on this one.[blank][blank]

pictures 1,2 & 3 Pinterest

[blank]

59 comments

Marilla June 1, 2013 - 12:22 pm

Whenever I feel the need, I can retreat to my Guest Bedroom…I decorated the room without the help of my fiance and it feels like "mine". My favorite part is to look outside the window and see only green from tree tops and blue sky.

Lovely Post. It's amazing how I needed to read that this morning. Just thinking about the fact that other people feel this way too is comforting. 🙂

marillasmanor.blogspot.com

Mol C. Nichols June 1, 2013 - 1:38 pm

You dogs are so precious.

Gina June 1, 2013 - 2:10 pm

Dear Sharon, like you I take my two dogs, Charlie and Lucy, and go wandering through the open fields. Happy weekend to you and yours. ox, Gina

Karen June 1, 2013 - 2:31 pm

Hi Sharon – LOVE the little tree house. Now wouldn't that be fun. I don't think you ever outgrow the feeling of being overwhelmed or wanting to escape. And my ultimate escape is to the mountains even if just for a few hours. Gather the hubby and dog and just take off. We actually have a special spot called Upper Beaver Meadows which is in Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park. We just sit quietly and "feel" the souls of others who have been there before. I'm not sure we ever "solve" the issues of our lives but do at least put them on the back burner for a time.

Jayne E June 1, 2013 - 2:45 pm

Our guest room doubles as my study and I love it in there. It's not very big, but full of everything I love. I can sit at my little pine desk, make notes and lists, or write in my journal. It is a place of calm for me.

Bente Holst June 1, 2013 - 3:14 pm

I paint – watercolours and acrylic paintings – this makes me forget the world around me for a while and is very relaxing to me. See http://www.galleriholst.dk – And I also walk or run it out! – I think it works at any age.

Jennifer June 1, 2013 - 3:28 pm

I head to my garden. Somehow, working out there soothes my soul.

Joanne C June 1, 2013 - 4:42 pm

Lovely photos ! My hideaway is many things depending of the time of year. I have a space upstairs overlooking the living room with a view of the lake in front of the house. I go there and open some old magazines from victoria that I have kept since we bought this place that was an old cottage that I loved so much but we had to put down and built a new one for living there all year long.

Anonymous June 1, 2013 - 5:16 pm

The stress becomes less when you are older! If it is a character thing, you will always be bothered by it. I used to go gardening and felt that the stress was leaving my body through my fingers into the ground. But now, I am 64 years old, children are self supporting, husband retired so these are wonderful years.
Auckje van der Leij, The Netherlands

Sarah Malone, European Farmhouse Charm June 1, 2013 - 5:38 pm

It used to be walks along our beautiful beach here, but that's been replaced by time at the new country place. It's so quiet and calm there….and it's away from my insane work schedule which causes such stress throughout the week.
Beautiful scenery always helps me relax and clear my head…and your beautiful photos are always a part that too :)!
Hugs to you XO
Sarah

Kellie from Indiana June 1, 2013 - 6:45 pm

I either go to my room in winter or sit outside with the veg & flowers to get away, usually with needlework and a book.

Anonymous June 1, 2013 - 7:11 pm

I take my dog for hikes to the beach or in the forest on beautiful Vancouver Island and always return home refreshed.
I must say I so enjoy your blog and look forward to receiving each new entry in my inbox, the photo's are stunning and it just would not be the same without the dogs, they add so much spark they are as different as day and night but the best of friends, we can all take a lesson from the.

cheers

Margo

Daniela June 1, 2013 - 7:16 pm

Of course I know what you mean Sharon and I must say taking a shower works very well for me. Being alone with my thoughts in a bathroom for one thing and the flowing water effect that washes all the mess away for another.
Daniela from Czech Republic ♥

Jennifer Clark June 1, 2013 - 8:13 pm

What glorious photos! ((drool!)) I have many ways of escape. I had a rough childhood, so I learned to hide in books. I go to my garden and putter about. I go to the kitchen and make something (3 hungry kids make this quite useful). When the weather gets very hot, we all escape to the beach. When I'm having a hard time going to sleep because my troubles are worrying my thoughts, I'll design my perfect library or dining room or boudoir in my head.

Also, I visit your site to view the beautiful photos and read about a pastoral life in France. Thanks for all your work here, Sharon!

Julie West Wales June 1, 2013 - 9:35 pm

You will probably laugh at this one – when I get fed up I retreat to our little touring caravan. It's parked up in a corner of the orchard. It's in a sunny spot with comfortable seating, I can hear the birds singing close by, and then I can pretend for a short time that I'm on holiday. Works for me! If the weather is really awful (happens a lot here in Wales), then I get out my pastels and do a bit of painting. Totally absorbing!

sharon santoni at my french country home June 1, 2013 - 10:53 pm

nice that green works for you too, Marilla

sharon santoni at my french country home June 1, 2013 - 10:53 pm

🙂

sharon santoni at my french country home June 1, 2013 - 10:54 pm

Hi Gina, they are indeed good companions, for the good times and the bad!

sharon santoni at my french country home June 1, 2013 - 10:55 pm

Isn't that tree house sweet, … sounds a good way to think through things

sharon santoni at my french country home June 1, 2013 - 10:55 pm

your own space … sounds good to me Jayne

sharon santoni at my french country home June 1, 2013 - 10:56 pm

Can totally relate to this Bente, how many times have I got lost in a palette of colour

sharon santoni at my french country home June 1, 2013 - 10:56 pm

I agree Jennifer, dirty hands and a well tended garden can do miracles

sharon santoni at my french country home June 1, 2013 - 10:57 pm

A view onto a lake sounds very good indeed!

sharon santoni at my french country home June 1, 2013 - 10:58 pm

glad to hear you are peaceful and happy Auckje

sharon santoni at my french country home June 1, 2013 - 10:58 pm

I'm not surprised Sarah, your new property looks quite wonderful

sharon santoni at my french country home June 1, 2013 - 10:58 pm

it's that green again, rarely fails!

cavaliereattitude June 1, 2013 - 11:45 pm

I subscribe to Churchill's, "There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man" – if only the rain would stop and I could get out to ride!!! Failing that Dr. Green in the garden, even in the rain….

Anonymous June 2, 2013 - 12:54 am

Hi Sharon there are moments when I get overwhelmed either its physical or mental that's when a good cup of tea and one of my girly movies takes me out of the situation. But you taking the dogs for a long walk sounds so much better. Thank you for sharing. Regards Esther from Sydney.

Botanic Bleu June 2, 2013 - 1:18 am

For years I would retreat to the guest bedroom upstairs and re-read old Victoria magazines. I would just pull one at random from the bookcase and settle down into the big armchair with ottoman. The room overlooks a large widespread oak tree and sitting there is like being in a treehouse. While the photographs in the original Victoria magazine were beautiful, the articles were artistically written timeless treasures that still can sweep me away today to a place of loveliness and bliss. My French Country Home articles have the same effect of sweeping me away. Written words and glorious images to contemplate what is good and pure and to put into perspective all the events in my life.

Then I sigh a sigh of letting go and move on.

Judith

**Anne** June 2, 2013 - 4:11 am

Having walked through the forest near your home, I can understand why you disappear in there for a while with your two lovely dogs for some solitude and time out. It's a very restorative place to walk. The walk up the lane to the forest past the horses, the beautiful views over the valley, so peaceful. Hubby and I are enjoying reliving our visit with you about this time last year. We did have such a lovely time staying in your holiday cottage.
Anne xx

carolyn bradford June 2, 2013 - 4:14 am

I'm not even reading any one else's comments because I can't believe I'm reading this! This is my post that I'm working on right now! But I don't want my kids to see it! Hmmmm….all of that to say….I NEVER get to go away physically so I'm often somewhere else in my mind. When I do get a few moments to myself I sit in my sunroom….that's where I think the best and write the best and read the best! But when THAT doesn't work….then I just cry! LOL! Today was my BEST day! And that's my next post! Not because of selfishness….but because I finally had the house to myself for a mere 5 hours! I am so exhausted from our family beach trip this past Memorial Day and now having to gear up for a week in Hilton Head Island next week that I BEGGED for mind you! I know we will enjoy it but the older I get the harder it is to get over these trips! Am I crazy or am I just getting older? I think it is both! I definitely think this is something that evolves as we get older….I watch my mom do it all the time! And now, here I am too!!

Anonymous June 2, 2013 - 6:04 am

Am I the only one who enjoys wine during these moments? Please tell me no!

Colleen Taylor June 2, 2013 - 6:57 am

Not only beautiful but very thought provoking post Sharon. For me, it depends what the situation is at hand. Most times, my painting, which happens to be my profession is my saving grace, my escape from reality. If I can get out & about, unfortunately I have not found a "place" outside to escape from it all. You made me think about this tonight Sharon that I must find that "place" in nature & all its beauty. Thank you. xo

The Blue Farmhouse June 2, 2013 - 7:48 am

This is going to sound so "corny" but I always get my 'mo joe' back by unloading on my husband. He just listens, and listens and then I know he'll always tell me what I need to hear and not what I want to hear. He has this saying.."don't sweat over the small stuff…cause it's all small stuff." And when I have time to think about whatever it is and let it go…it really is "all small stuff". Then I watch HGTV.:)

Rita

Debbie June 2, 2013 - 7:54 am

Sometimes I retreat to my bedroom in the evening and have an early night. Getting extra sleep does wonders. Other times I find shopping can be a stress reliever but I've heard this can be considered an addiction so I try to stick to what I actually do need. Sometimes a glass of red wine while listening to favourite music or a small piece of chocolate in the garden. I do sound like I have an addictive personality. As long as I keep it to only 1 right?

Cheers
Debbie

Marina Pérez June 2, 2013 - 9:25 am

When I was a little girl, I used to stay along at home because my parents used to work and I have no brother or sisters so I used to live in my world, reading comics, listening to the radio or playing with my toys. Now, I have a son and a daughter, a husband, My parents and their doctors, and a work until a month ago ( now unemployed) so a lot of work to do, but I always have a decoration magazine or a book in my handbag, so I read in the train, in the doctor's, in the sofa. I read.

hugs
Marina

Julia June 2, 2013 - 10:21 am

Sharon, I walk across the green, admiring the walnut trees, the little row of apples trees, the beauty of long grass-gone-to-seed, gazing in awe at a red kite circling overhead, past the pond whose water lilies remind me of Giverney, down little lanes lined with cow parsley and buttercups, across a field that this year is growing wheat, through a field where horses canter over to say hello, down a track, through another field of oil-seed rape and back to the green. This daily walk is my therapy, my walking meditation cures many ills. 🙂

Julia June 2, 2013 - 10:23 am

A glass of fizzy white wine often helps me 🙂

Magnolia Verandah June 2, 2013 - 11:34 am

I love to just sit in the garden with a cup of tea, or a walk along the beach especially in winter, or depending on the hour retreat to bed with a hot drink and a book.

The enchanted home June 2, 2013 - 1:58 pm

I do both, "hide" when I can even if it means going outside and sitting alone for a few hours with a cup of coffee (or wine) a few mags or a book…that to me is a great decompressor. Sometimes just taking half a day and doing something for me and sometime getting away means escaping to blog land and visiting friends and exotic places virtually:)

Roses pour Toujours June 2, 2013 - 2:34 pm

It looks wonderful! Which part of France do you live? Me in the Drome Provençale,

regards Janny

april June 2, 2013 - 4:53 pm

I pray for a little while which instantly provides relief, and if it were possible, I would saddle up a horse and go for a ride. Someone once wisely said that one of the best things for the inside of a man (or woman) is the outside of a horse!

Sharon June 2, 2013 - 5:51 pm

I was thinking the same thing. During the winter I retreat into the living room with a glass of red wine, build a roaring fire, and either read or watch a good movie…in the warmer weather I retreat to a corner of the garden with a good book and a glass of cold white wine from the local winery (which backs on to our property).

Great post Sharon – thought provoking

Vintage Amethyst June 2, 2013 - 5:52 pm

I'm must admit I always retreat to the bedroom. I pick up my book & snuggle up & block the whole world out!
love
Alison
x

sharon santoni at my french country home June 2, 2013 - 7:09 pm

Thank you Margo, for your kind words about the blog, without readers like you it would be pointless!
My son tells me you can now google our dogs!! who would have thought?!

sharon santoni at my french country home June 2, 2013 - 7:32 pm

Yup Daniela, I can totally relate to that!

sharon santoni at my french country home June 2, 2013 - 7:34 pm

Thank you Jennifer! How lovely to know that MFCH provides your escape! I have also done the 'design a room' in my head thing

sharon santoni at my french country home June 2, 2013 - 7:34 pm

Why ever would I laugh Julie? sounds totally snug and delicious – instant escape, how wonderful!

sharon santoni at my french country home June 2, 2013 - 7:36 pm

Churchill/Reagan/? whatever? I also subscribe 200% to that idea. Simply grooming and saddling up is therapy, the ride is the cherry on the cake 🙂

sharon santoni at my french country home June 2, 2013 - 7:37 pm

Tea/ glass of wine and a good film, sounds good to me, and less need for wellington boots!

Manon-London June 2, 2013 - 10:26 pm

I go and see a movie, I see my not-job-related friends. Oh… and I hope one day I will have enough money to escape in beatiful resort hotel by the sea :-)!!

sharon santoni at my french country home June 2, 2013 - 10:29 pm

The guest bedroom with your favourite magazines and a view over the garden sounds good – thank you for your kind words about MFCH

sharon santoni at my french country home June 2, 2013 - 10:30 pm

Hi Anne

You'd love the forest right now, the colours are glorious and the cuckoos are singing all day long

my best wishes to you both

sharon santoni at my french country home June 2, 2013 - 10:31 pm

the house all to yourself for a few hours … I think we can all relate to that pleasure Carolyn

sharon santoni at my french country home June 2, 2013 - 10:32 pm

a glass of wine is often an excellent idea

sharon santoni at my french country home June 2, 2013 - 10:33 pm

I think that escaping into your painting is wonderful Colleen. I haven't found the time to paint for the past two years, and I am longing to pick up a brush again – hopefully this summer …

sharon santoni at my french country home June 2, 2013 - 10:34 pm

Talking it through with your husband and then turning to HGTV, I love that combo Rita!

sharon santoni at my french country home June 2, 2013 - 10:35 pm

Ah! a long night's sleep does do wonders,

Anonymous September 25, 2013 - 5:39 pm

Walking with dog, riding, gardening or a good book with tea…alone of course!